When was the last time you took some me time? Is self-care part of your daily routine? Do you spend time doing your favorite things? In this article about self-care for moms, you’ll discover ideas to help you take better care of yourself.
If you are so busy caring for everyone and everything else that you aren’t caring for yourself, this article is for you. Self care is important, and it’s especially essential for homeschooling moms. As a homeschooling parent, you can’t underestimate the value of caring for yourself.
Self-Care for Moms Includes the Following
- Videos about self-care for moms.
- Inspirational podcast episodes.
- Relaxing ideas for self care days.
- Information about life coaching for moms.
- Practical ideas to help you make self-care a habit.
Being the parent you want to be isn’t easy when you aren’t at your best. With this in mind, let’s consider a few simple things you can do to free up your busy schedule. It’s time to plan for your own needs so you can take better care of yourself and your family.
Podcast Episodes About Self-Care for Moms
On the HomeSchool ThinkTank Parenting Podcast, we share two weekly podcast episodes. While our Wednesday episodes are about homeschooling and parenting, our Monday episodes are all about mindset. We share these episodes because your mindset as a parent can make the difference between failing or succeeding at homeschooling your kids!
Inspirational Podcast Episodes for Homeschooling Parents!
- Self Care Tips for Moms: Set Yourself Up for Success
- Create a Vision for Your Future and Your Family
- Self-Care Ideas for Homeschool Moms and Dads
- Wherever You Are There You Will Be
- Negative Talk vs Positive Self Talk
Follow Our Podcast Nearly Anywhere!
You can listen to the HomeSchool ThinkTank Parenting Podcast nearly anywhere podcasts are played. We suggest following us on…
12 Practical Tips That Will Lead to Regular Self-Care for Moms
We’re going to be practical here. While you can schedule an occasional outing for yourself, you need a realistic plan for regular self-care. Let’s start by setting you up for success, which begins with running your household efficiently. Yes, there are times when busy moms need someone to watch the kids so they can leave the house for a while. However, wouldn’t it be better if you set yourself up for some guilt-free me time?
Self Care Tips: Set Yourself Up for Success
Some of these self-care tips will seem counterintuitive, but when you think them through, you’ll realize they make sense. Creating habits that serve you better will allow you to take better care of yourself.
You likely have ideas about what you need and want to do to care for yourself. However, you need help figuring out how to find time for yourself. Here are a few tips to get started.
- Recognize that you’re a woman first. You might be a wife, a stay-at-home mom, or a working mom, but first and foremost, you are human. Like the rest of the family, you have needs and desires. Take a moment to acknowledge this fact by looking in the mirror and saying, “I am a woman first. I have needs, too.”
- Make a list of things you want to do or have. As a homeschooling mom, you always consider what your kids need and want. Remember to include things that YOU want and need, too!
Bed Time Routines
- Plan for sleep. Let’s face it: sleep doesn’t just happen for parents, and it certainly doesn’t happen for many new moms! If you have young children, they might wake you up multiple times a night. If you have teenagers, they might want to stay up later than you. The best way to get enough sleep is to set yourself up for success. Decide when you want your family to be in bed and back it up.
- Create your own bedtime routine. After the kids are tucked in, and you’ve tidied up for the night, it’s time to set yourself up for success.
- Make a daily practice of tidying up before you head to bed. Yes, tidying up is self-care. Your environment is a reflection of your mind. It’s difficult to be clear-headed when your home is a mess. When you tidy up your home, you’ll tidy up your mind, too. Here are steps that you can do each evening. These steps will help set you up for success the following day.
- End the day with a clean kitchen.
- Put a load of laundry in the washing machine every night.
- List the top three things you want to accomplish the next day.
- Write down how you need to feel to accomplish your top three things.
- Take a moment and journal about something you are grateful for.
- Plan your following day before you go to bed each night. As a parent, you know things don’t always go according to plan. However, you will get far more out of any given day with a plan than without one.
- If your kids are older and you can plan a self-care morning routine, do it. This could include journaling, exercising, showering, and making your bed before greeting the family.
- If you are the mom of a newborn baby or your kids are young, and you are up several times a night, give yourself some grace and consider sleeping later than you would otherwise. However, build a wake-up routine with time to prepare for the day.
- Plan to start the day a certain way. How you start your day is up to you, but do it with intention.
Video: Self Care for Moms and Dads
Prevent Homeschool Parent Burnout
Sign Up for a Consultation with Jackie
Hi! I’m Jackie! I’m a long-time homeschooling mom, the founder of HomeSchool ThinkTank, a licensed physical education teacher, and a certified life coach. Through HomeSchool ThinkTank, I specialize in supporting parents with my Homeschool Consulting & Coaching Services.
Schedule a FREE Consultation
If you have questions about homeschooling or feel overwhelmed, schedule your Free Consultation.
As a homeschool consultant, I help parents with the how-to’s of homeschooling. And as a certified life coach, I specialize in helping homeschool parents with everyday life. Whether you’re struggling with homeschooling or you need help with something unrelated to homeschooling, I can help you.
Working with a life coach is the ultimate form of self-care.
Do a Thought Download
What is a thought download? A thought download is simply writing your thoughts down on paper.
- Jot down what’s troubling you.
- Write down your goals.
- Take note of how you’re feeling.
- Create a list of to-do list items.
- Take note of anything that comes to mind.
This doesn’t have to take much time, and there are a variety of ways that you might do this. Take notes about anything that comes to mind.
Why Do a Thought Download?
When you write down your thoughts, your mind will start working through any issues or goals, even when you aren’t consciously thinking about them.
Consider doing a thought download daily. One great way to get your thoughts flowing is to take a walk and then write about whatever came to mind on your walk. Thought downloads can be incredibly beneficial, so choose a time of day to do this and make it a daily habit.
Benefit From Time Outside
- Get outside daily. Whether you get outside alone, with a close friend, or play with your kids, you’ll reap plenty of benefits by getting fresh air.
- Benefits of being outdoors. According to WebMD, the benefits of being outdoors include improved sleep, better focus and creativity, less anxiety, a healthier weight, a better immune system, and better mental health.
Move Your Body & Have Fun
You could do the same workout every day of the week, or you could focus on moving your body. Whether you go swimming, hiking, or playing at the park with your kids doesn’t matter. Moving your body is good for your soul and your overall health. Make moving for fun part of your daily life!
Video: Self-Care Isn’t Selfish
Drink Water & Take Time to Eat
- Do you get hangry? If you want to be a happy mom, eating nutritious foods is essential. Sit down and take a lunch break with your kids, or take some time for yourself after you put your little ones down for a nap.
- Remember to drink water. Water consumption is important! Keep your energy high by drinking plenty of water each day.
Your Environment Matters
- Make a plan for household chores. Get the whole family involved. Turn on your favorite music and treat your housework like a workout routine. p.s. Get a housekeeper if you can. The moms who do it all rarely do it all.
- Declutter your home regularly. The less you have, the less you have to do. More items equate to more picking up, organizing, and cleaning. A little bit of decluttering each week goes a long way! With less stuff, you’ll have more time for yourself and those who matter to you. Learn about minimalism here.
- Plan for alone time. Plan to do something about you. It’s not about your mom, your best friend, your hubby, or your kids…it’s about you. Make arrangements for self-care time, mark your calendar, and keep the appointment! You are important, and you should take care of yourself. Learn more about prioritizing your time here.
Moms Are Humans Too
Doing the tasks above takes planning and work. However, when you do these important things, this is an act of love for yourself. When you plan, you are setting yourself up for free time.
If you need help getting organized to schedule me time, book a consultation with Jackie. She’s a long-time homeschooling mom, the founder of HomeSchool ThinkTank, a licensed physical education teacher, and a certified life coach.
Jackie can help you manage your life better so you can take better care of yourself and homeschool your kids successfully!
15 Easy Self-Care Tips For Moms
Here are easy self-care activities you can do at home in a short time frame. These are great suggestions that will help you rejuvenate and be the best mom that you can be.
- Listen to our Mindset Monday’s podcast episodes.
- Read a book.
- Have a phone call with an uplifting friend.
- Do one of your favorite things: play an instrument, paint, or scrapbook.
- Check out these guided meditation sessions.
- Work out at home with a video.
- Take a short walk.
- Go on bike rides with or without your kids.
- Take a bubble bath or add some essential oils to your bath.
- Curl up with a good book.
- Take deep breaths.
- Eat good, nutritious food.
- Listen to your favorite song. Have a living room dance party with your kids or by yourself!
- Join our support program for homeschooling parents!
- Learn about life coaching with Jackie.
Moms Are Champions…
If you’re a homeschooling mom and need inspiration, listen to Carrie Underwood’s, The Champion. We think the lyrics from this song are perfect for homeschooling parents!
Great words from this song. As a homeschooling parent, you nearly need to be…
Homeschooling moms are doing and giving from their hearts every single day. Remember to take care of yourself too!
When you get knocked down, do you get up again? Here’s what CHAMPION stands for in The Champion by Carrie Underwood.
- C: C is for the courage I possess through the trauma.
- H: H is for the hurt but it’s all for the honor.
- A: A is for my attitude working through the patience.
- M: Money comes and goes, so the M is for motivation.
- P: Gotta stay consistent; the P is for persevere.
- I: I is for Integrity, innovative career.
- O: The O is optimistic, open and never shut.
- N: And the N is necessary, cause I’m never givin’ up.
See, they ask me how I did it, I just did it from my heart…The Champion by Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris
Keep Up With HomeSchool ThinkTank Happenings!
When you sign up, we’ll share helpful homeschooling tips & strategies.
10 Self-Care Tips That Require a Little Planning
If you can plan ahead of time, here are some great ideas for self-care tips.
- Schedule a massage.
- Have a fun date night!
- Go to a workout class.
- Plan a weekend getaway.
- Go for a hike.
- Have dinner with a good friend.
- Take a class for fun to learn new skills.
- Start a new hobby.
- Go to the hot springs or have a spa day.
- Relax at your favorite winery, coffee shop, or local library.
Go ahead and take a little time for yourself. It’s good for your emotional health and family, too.
Schedule Your Homeschool Consultation
At HomeSchool ThinkTank, we’re passionate about supporting homeschooling parents. Whether you have questions about homeschooling or need help getting your life in order so you can be the parent you want to be, we’re here to guide you.
Share Your Self-Care Ideas
We love to hear your helpful comments!
More Articles & Podcast Episodes For You
- Fun Math Games Your Kids Will Love
- Positive Parenting For You
- Inspiration for Homeschool Moms
- Create a Vision For Your Life
- Sign Up for our Free Homeschooling Course!
Share This Article With A Mom Who Needs It!
Copy and paste the link below to share this article anywhere.